Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Home for the Sick and Dying

At sunrise, four of us walked to the tent church to join our Haitian Brothers and Sisters in celebrating our Lord.  Although I couldn't understand what was being said, it didn't matter because I could feel the spirit of the worship. Incredible experience - definately something I plan to do every morning while in Haiti!

The day began with us going to the Home for Sick and Dying Children.  The home had been hit by the earthquake, so their current facility was very small and lacking.  Infants who were very ill were in the poorly lit, closed quarters located in the lower level of the home.  The other babies/toddlers had the upper level - cribs scattered in several small rooms.  A beautiful 2 year old with large chocolate brown eyes captured my heart and I spent the entire 2 hours "loving on her".  She loved to snuggle and held on tightly with her petite little hands.  When I took her to the courtyard to join some of my team, she was very entertained by watching the other children running around.  At one time, while I was carrying her, we passed a large crucifix and she pointed.  I said "praise Jesus"..this beautiful gift of God raised her little hands up in the air to worship our heavenly Father.  It wasn't a coincidence - several times I would say "praise Jesus"...and once again she raised her hands to heaven.  Amazing!!!  It was difficult to put her back in the crib when it was time to go.  I pray that this little angel will heal from her ailment and that she has a loving family who will take her home again.

In the afternoon, some of the team returned to the Home for Sick and Dying Children and helped the Sisters move furniture, organize all the supplies we brought them etc.  The open house of their new Home is this Sunday and they had much to do.

There were six of us who were given the opportunity to join the Sisters at St. Joseph's Clinic.  The free clinic provides medical care for the underserved.  We tended to several patients who had massive wounds of the feet, legs and hands.  I saw wounds today that I will probably never see in my professional career.  The clinic was quite primative with the basic of supplies.  I truly see the donations we received will be put to great use!!  The patients were so appreciative, blessing us and once again, true to Haitian style - gave us the warmest of smiles.

My word for today is fulfilled!  My heart was filled with love when embracing "my little girl" at the Home for Sick and Dying Children.  I truly feel I was God's servant today at the wound clinic.  He blessed me with a passion for healing and today I used that skill and talent to care for my Brothers and Sisters.

God is Great!

Love to all~
Selina

No comments:

Post a Comment